• Welome to NZ Blues. To participate in the public discussions as a forum member, please Register Now or if you already have an account, Log In.

BluesTV loses ability to stream games to domestic audience

Grant

NZ OSC
Reaction score
Just some info on Bluestv as they have lost the ability to stream games to a domestic audience.

I’m still waiting to find out how that impacts us internationally.

IMG_1406.jpeg

Blues wanted control of what they output and picked bluestv over ifollow so I’m not sure why they unanimously voted for this in the domestic market.

International markets have to be a growth area but when you hear fan based comments like support a local team, you realise how small minded the uk is. It’s going to take a long time to shift the narrative.

I dislike sky sports with every fibre of my being. This will increase illegal streaming. I hope BluesTV continues, at least for the international supporters. BluesTV ain't perfect, but at least we dont have to listen to don goodman.

Don Goodman, Lee Hendrie, or for the bigger games Alan Smith. The agents Don and Alan have really earned their money over the years.

Mind you listening to Alan Smith commentating as we beat villa twice in our first season in the prem was absolute gold. Squirming.

So if my maths is right international viewers will see every single game from their own club. Or at least the club will have the ability to do that, whether they can because of country specific broadcast rights remains unclear. But the games we do see will be with better graphics and more cameras. Let’s hope there is on demand too.

IMG will produce a further 832 matches (1,698 in total), which will be utilised outside of the UK by EFL rights holders Pitch International and Relevent Sports, that will distribute the premium broadcast feed across the world. Clubs will also be able to offer the elevated output via their own international streaming services to fans of EFL Clubs outside of the UK.

OK so from our point of view,
Watching games live in New Zealand can be tough. Not only are they in the middle of the night but the Government introduced new licensing laws in 2014 where bars/pubs cannot open after 4am. They also cannot serve alcohol before 8am.

This means that any game starting after 2:00am is unlikely to be screened in a public venue. The Eurpoean games in the morning are usually shown with a more sensible kick off time, but it still means no beersies until at least half time I'm afraid. That said, unless SKY is streaming the game, there is generally a lack of public venues using Bein Sports, although it maybe possible to stream BluesTV to a laptop in a Working Mens Club or similar using a meeting room.

The subscription to BluesTV in itself is worthwhile, however only if you plan to get up at between 2am and 4am to watch the game live. If it’s a morning kick off, you need to have booked the day off work. Unfortunately, the vast majority of games post match are the same highlights you will see on youtube which makes it a very expensive subscription if you are unable to catch the game live.

In starting the OSC, the advertised aim of the groups, was to bring people together to share the experience of watching the game. While we are only a small nation, to have any possibility of sensibly doing that on a regular (and cost effective) basis would require an on demand option to view the full game. To get up on a Sunday morning and maybe have a brunch over a full game would be fantastic. It would be relatively easy to avoid the result for a couple of hours, to enable us to watch it properly, together without disturbing the house at an ungodly hour.

Broadcast in 1080p with the ability to be able to stream the feed to a larger screen via the blues app (using appletv for instance or Google Chromecast) would be essential. Us all sitting around a table watching on our mobile phones would of course ruin any conversation and also makes it incredibly hard to watch - even at home. With the changes in delivery from the provider to the club next season, we feel it’s essential to provide these enhanced requirements as a season ticket package to allow our brand to be effectively grown into a truly global package, reflecting the vision of the new ownership.

Would OSC members like me to submit this as feedback to the club?
If you're not yet in the OSC, what are your thoughts?

BluesTV is a big deal for me. I'm in quite a privileged position where I am able to watch most games despite the time difference. However, I'd like the ability to watch it when ever and not lose sleep. I'd also want the kids to be able watch it too (even with their 5 minute attention span). The ability to watch it as a group would be great too.

I think what you plan to submit is good.

OK so from our point of view,
Watching games live in New Zealand can be tough. Not only are they in the middle of the night but the Government introduced new licensing laws in 2014 where bars/pubs cannot open after 4am. They also cannot serve alcohol before 8am.

This means that any game starting after 2:00am is unlikely to be screened in a public venue. The Eurpoean games in the morning are usually shown with a more sensible kick off time, but it still means no beersies until at least half time I'm afraid. That said, unless SKY is streaming the game, there is generally a lack of public venues using Bein Sports, although it maybe possible to stream BluesTV to a laptop in a Working Mens Club or similar using a meeting room.

The subscription to BluesTV in itself is worthwhile, however only if you plan to get up at between 2am and 4am to watch the game live. If it’s a morning kick off, you need to have booked the day off work. Unfortunately, the vast majority of games post match are the same highlights you will see on youtube which makes it a very expensive subscription if you are unable to catch the game live.

In starting the OSC, the advertised aim of the groups, was to bring people together to share the experience of watching the game. While we are only a small nation, to have any possibility of sensibly doing that on a regular (and cost effective) basis would require an on demand option to view the full game. To get up on a Sunday morning and maybe have a brunch over a full game would be fantastic. It would be relatively easy to avoid the result for a couple of hours, to enable us to watch it properly, together without disturbing the house at an ungodly hour.

Broadcast in 1080p with the ability to be able to stream the feed to a larger screen via the blues app (using appletv for instance or Google Chromecast) would be essential. Us all sitting around a table watching on our mobile phones would of course ruin any conversation and also makes it incredibly hard to watch - even at home. With the changes in delivery from the provider to the club next season, we feel it’s essential to provide these enhanced requirements as a season ticket package to allow our brand to be effectively grown into a truly global package, reflecting the vision of the new ownership.

Would OSC members like me to submit this as feedback to the club?
If you're not yet in the OSC, what are your thoughts?
Good feedback to submit to the club regarding this!