• Welome to NZ Blues. To participate in the public discussions as a forum member, please Register Now or if you already have an account, Log In.

The great end of season clear out.

Grant

NZ OSC
Reaction score
I think the large batch of expiring contracts for the end of this season has taken its toll.
Regardless of loan or contact status. Who would you keep and why? Who would you wait to recruit and why?

Players such as Neil Etheridge, John Ruddy, Marc Roberts, Marcel Oakley, Ivan Sunjic, Gary Gardner, Keshi Anderson, Scott Hogan, and Lukas Jutkiewicz are all out of contract. Among these, I see us re-signing Gardner, Anderson, Juke, and Roberts on reduced terms.

On the other hand, I believe it's necessary to consider selling players like JJ, Miyoshi, Laird, Hall, Paik, Dion Sanderson, and Tyler Roberts to strengthen our squad and generate funds for new signings.

Once the managerial situation is resolved, we must prioritize investing in players who are hungry for success. Fortunately, as a relegated club, we have more flexibility with Financial Fair Play (FFP) regulations. In League 1, FFP is based on turnover, allowing us to spend up to 75% of the club's turnover on transfers and wages. Additionally, owners have the option to contribute a lump sum of money, provided it is not a loan.

With these factors in mind, I believe we are in a favorable position to attract players with the right work ethic, attitude, and desire to play for The Blues.

I think we need to be looking at 10 to 15. The most important thing is that we find some leaders but also that the contracts are staggered. Let’s have some 2,3,4 and 5 year options, rather than the recent 5 year deals. We know they were done to spread the FFP load, but now we’re under different rules I’d hope to see a greater spread.

Waiting for them to put out the retained/released list. Probably towards the end of the month. Can't be that many names of the list.